Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Our Chinese Collection


There are many things I like about our local libraries. But there is one section that I can't stand - the shelves that stock the Chinese children books. 

I can't say if it is just something unique to the branch that I frequent or is it the same for all branches, but the librarians can really do a lot more to organize the books in some order. 

Anyway, I have given up a long time ago to depend on the local libraries for good Chinese children books. It is time consuming to look for interesting books that are at a suitable level for the boys and are also without hanyu pinyin. Whatever that I can find in the library are usually so tattered and filthy that sometimes I can't bear to touch them, let alone bring them home. 

A while back, I spent some time researching and stocking up our home library, which I think is truly necessary to ensure that my boys read their share of good Chinese books. Since we have probably close to 500 English books, I figured I must do more to increase the variety in the mother tongue language. The result has been very encouraging. 

Recently, Chip has taken a special liking for these two series. 



Personally, I think the 鼠小弟 series (12 books) is more interesting and humourous than the second (10 books). But the boy likes them both and has been asking for them everyday. Sometimes he would insist that I read the whole series twice or thrice over in one sitting. 

These two series are a little too simple and hence boring for M. Thankfully, I found the following fabulous series for him. 




Consisting of 6 related stories, this series is by far my favourite Chinese books ever! They are wackily funny and never failed to crack us up. I have been reading them to him, instead of asking him to read aloud. But I think very soon, he will be ready to read them to me. 

Though M still can't read all the words in the books, but at least, he loves them enough to want to bring them to school for his daily reading time. An encouraging sign indeed! 

I still have at least another 40 books that I have yet to introduce to the boys, but I am taking my time. Instead of bringing them all out straightaway, I decided to save some for future when they get tired of the current series. 

Meanwhile, I am on the hunt again for more of such quality reads. 


7 comments:

Precious Memories said...

I agree with you on this. I always find it a challenge to locate the Chinese books I want in our libraries. So now I just buy them directly from China. We have those books too. We love 可爱的鼠小弟.

DG said...

Hi Leng Leng, this series is funny but after reading them repeatedly, I am bored too! Haha.
What others would you recommend? I am looking for more suitable for M's age, something with more complex plot and humour.

Precious Memories said...

Hi Shirley, let me go through my books, as well as to look for the links for you. Given that you still have 40 books, there is a good chance my recommendations may be in that pile. Will get back soon.

Corsage@A Dollop Of Me said...

Hiya, I stumbled upon your blog and this entry is very relevant to me as I've been thinking of ways and means to expose my daughter to Mandarin. Where did you buy these books from? I just wish I myself could read better without hanyu pinyin! Now all our Chinese books have them. Eeps

DG said...

Thanks Leng Leng. I just did a count. Actually I still have over 50 new books but they are mostly part of a series. 40 of them are suitable for M's age group, so there is plenty to read for now but I won't mind buying more of those with good plots. I will bring a few to show you too this week.

Hi Corsage, I bought the books directly from www.dangdang.com. But you can also check out a bookshop at Bras Basah Complex called Maha Yuyi. I prefer those without hanyu pinyin, which is why I buy them from China. Those at Popular are usually with HYPY.

Chong said...

Hi Shirley,

Would like to know which mode of payment did you use when buying your books from dangdang.com? I tried to pay using visa but there is error informing me that the transaction is unsuccessful.

Appreciate your advise.

Chong

DG said...

Hi Chong, I either used Amex or Mastercard. Sorry I can't recall now. It has been so long ago.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...