Monday, January 24, 2011

Doomsday Device

My 6 years old made this hilarious comic last December, inspired by the movie 'Three Pigs and a Baby' which I rented to please Chip, the pigs lover. 

He cheekily credited the illustrators as Pooky and Big Pig, who are actually two of his favourite soft toys that reside on his bed. Haha! 

I thought this comic is the best that he has done so far and it is just so cool! 

No matter how I try, I will never be able to draw like this. There is an element of childlike innocence in the drawings and I love the side profiles that he has drawn. 








Though the boys watched the movie only twice before I returned the video, the plot really stuck in their minds. 

A week or two after, I could hear them still discussing the plots or arguing over the names of the pigs and how the Doomsday Device should operate etc.. Sometimes the discussions turned into tickling frenzies, though there were also times when one would get so frustrated with the other that they threatened to fight. 

Then one day I found them role-playing the scenes umpteen times on their own, sometimes adding new scenes and giggled themselves silly with their own injection of wicked humorous lines. It was so heartwarming and precious to watch. 

After entertaining themselves with their self-directed play, they began to express in different forms. Hence the birth of numerous comic strips and drawings, all inspired by this film. 

This comic strip Doomsday Device was created in one sitting, without any help from us, hence the noticeable grammatical and spelling mistakes. But we decided not to correct them after, though we highlighted to M. Leaving in the original form seems the correct thing to do since we want to preserve as much of its originality as possible. 

When Chip begged me to rent the movie at the video store, I took a look at the plot and DVD case and secretly scoffed at the B-grade quality. But for $5, I thought it is OK to just let him have his way. 

I'm so pleased that the kids took a lot more out of the movie, instead of treating it simply as a form of entertainment for the couch potato. 

See here for some of M's previous comic strips.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...