Monday, August 16, 2010

BANG, DING-DONG and their Friends!

For the past few months, Marcus would insist that the book for his bedtime reading be The Adventures of Tin Tin. He is at Volume 7 (The Calculus Affair, The Red Sea Sharks and Tin Tin in Tibet) now.





Frankly, I can't stand it. So usually E will oblige and I go read to Chip.

One night recently when E was away, I said yes to the boy when he showed me his book of choice. Actually his ONLY choice.

With a boy on each side, I promised to read the next 10 pages from the page which Marcus has 'dog-eared'. After a page or two, I came to the part that said 'BANG!'.




Before I pronounced it, Marcus said 'oh mummy, this (pointing to the word 'bang') is a 'onomatopoeia'.

'Huh? Say that again?', I asked.

He explained what it meant and gave me a few examples such as 'ring-ring', 'buzz' and 'pop'.

At that point, my little Chip enthusiastically added 'ding-dong', 'clank-clank', 'oink-oink' and 'tick-tock'! I was IMPRESSED.

My 5.5 years old couldn't spell the last part of the word for me, so I had to do some guesswork based on his pronunciation and look up the word on Wikipedia.

They have learnt the word from daddy during one of their nightly reads (sometimes Chip snuggled up to listen to Tin Tin too).

It pleases me to no end that E shares my belief that 'every child is born a genius' and never to underestimate our boys' abilities.

It is simply wonderful to have him share this parenting journey with me. And now, I have learnt a new word too!

2 comments:

Alice Law said...

You are blessed that your hubby is proactive in parenting and most important he believes the fact that all kids are born genius!:)

Your Marcus is great, I didn't know the jargon though!:p

Have a ncie day!

DG said...

Definitely Alice! A partner who shares our vision certainly makes the parenting journey more enjoyable and effective. :>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...