Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I am a BOY. Hear me ROAR!



Performing his stunts at home: running up and down our little corridor to show me how fast his legs can take him.

It was pure joy and pride that I felt in the 10 minutes of watching my little boy. I celebrated with smiles and hugs and reminded myself that my baby has grown and will soon be too big to even want to impress me with such stunts.

For the longest time that I can remember, my 3.5 years old will proudly announce to family and strangers alike, at the drop of a hat, claims such as:

I'm the strongest boy in the world!

I can run so fast from here to there.. I will show you!


I can carry you over my head and throw you (or anyone/anything he doesn't like) down the window (or anything else that comes to mind)
.

I can do this (and that) even better than anyone else in the world!

etc etc ....

Those who don't understand kids may see this as boasting or even annoying behaviour of a boisterous boy. That is the stereotype of boys in most people's minds anyway.

I used to see red at the slightest hint of any criticisms of my boys, especially from people who have limited experience with them and yet judged too quickly.

It is all too easy to just let my mother bear instincts take over and challenge their stereotypical views.

But I question myself after a while, the reasons for even caring about what these people think. Most whom I have encountered are not exactly role models in my opinion.

So I decided to just shrug off the comments from this ignorant breed if they dared whisper them into my face, regardless if they were fueled by concern, jealousy or plain stupidity and reply with a mega smile and my most sincere declaration of 'Oh I love his expressions! He is full of energy and life and as long as he is not causing havoc, it is perfectly fine.' *BIG SMILE*

Truth be told, I beg to differ at the use of 'boisterous' to label my child. 'How much time have you spent with him to call him that?', I will ask politely. 

'Active?' Maybe. 'Hyperactive?' Nah! Go check the definition of this word before using it!

Someone close to us refers to Chipsy as 'boisterous' very often, but I know she means no ill intention, so I give her the benefit of the doubt and categorize her as someone who needs a better lesson in vocabulary.

To this mummy, my 3.5 years old is behaving like what a child his age will and should: living fully in the moment with all his energy and passion! 

I would continue to encourage him to express his opinions about his world, as seen through his lens. 

His display of enthuasiam and fun-loving nature should be celebrated and not penalized.

I know there is an expiry date for this phase. So I try my best to savour TODAY with him, on each and every day. 

When the day is done and I know that I have done well appreciating the joys of motherhood and all that my child wants to give, I feel a huge sense of accomplishment.

That is plain gratitude. 

5 comments:

viv said...

Oh I have two boys myself and I totally AGREE with you. Boys ought to be like this, especially at this age. ROAR and RUN freely!

tona-mama said...

Thank you for this insightful post, it really made me re-think many things again and how to handle such situations. Glad to know that I'm not alone too. :)

I, too, HATE it when people tells me that Kimi is sooo HYPER! I usually tell them he is NOT hyper just very active.

If only they knew what hyper meant and not use it so freely.

But, these days, I just smile quietly, can't really be bothered be to reason or explain to them.

Alicia said...

Ha ha... DG, just to share, my girl is very active too and like you, I get annoying comments ALL THE TIME that she is hyper. I am not as zenn as you 'cos it still irks me once in a while.

I fully agree that kids should be active and full of beans! And while it is very tiring at times, I fully intend to enjoy this phase as they grow up too quickly! =)

DG said...

Haha Viv. If only more parents are like-minded. :>

Tona-mama, you're welcome! I can understand what you mean. I've met Kimi and he is definitely not hyper active. He's such a healthy, cheerful and active kid!! :>
We mummies know best, so let's just ignore those who likes labeling.

DG said...

Alicia, you are still a fairly new mum so I can understand why you get irked by the comments. You will get used to it after a few years. Like me. Hee hee.

I swear there were occasions in the past when I could easily 'chew up' the guy just because he passed a comment that didn't sit well with me. I had to practise counting to ten to calm myself down. :P

Now I am a picture of calm on the outside. :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...