Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Little Lesson on Indulging Kids

Sometimes I do laugh out loud at my kids' abilities to entertain themselves. 

I am sure most kids are like this - finding humour at the most mundane things in life, and discovering joy and wonder in the things that we take for granted. 

Whenever my boys are in a Japanese restaurant, I do like to sit them near the conveyor belt if there is one. It is always fun to see little plates of colorful edible morsels rolling by. 

One day, out of the blue, my little Chip turned into this giggly little hyperactive child who would exclaim 'Toothpaste toothpaste!' whenever this Q00 packet rolled by (picture below) on the conveyor belt before breaking into uncontrollable squeals of laughter. 



He did this for at least ten times in that sitting alone. I did a lot of 'shush' to him, attempting to calm him down a little, as if that was possible. I was more worried about the noise and disturbance he may cause to other diners than actually laughing with him and indulging myself in his moments of silliness with him. 

On hindsight, I realise how much I have changed as a parent. 

As a first-time mum, I lived in my world and was oblivious to bystanders' jaw-dropping expressions as they watched me coo and ahh with my baby. M got away with a lot more than Chipsy's version of 'Toothpaste!' squealing. I was always there laughing with him and indulging him. I haven't done this as much with Chipsy. 

I am glad I reflected and come to this realization though. There's bound to be more of such laughing-at-nothing scenarios in future and I am going to make sure that I am there, right by him, laughing with him and seeing his world through his lens (or at least pretend to be). 

2 comments:

The Beauties In Our Lives said...

What a timely reminder for us to really dwell in the present moment and live life through the children's idealistic eyes, irregardless of external factors! Thanks for this reminder :)

DG said...

You are most welcome! When we get busy with daily stuff, I often need to remind myself about things like this.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...