Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Gaming Treat

I always love strategy games. 

So I couldn't resist when I came across Blokus which I eventually introduced to my boys a few months ago. Ever since, it has been their favourite board game. 

When I first showed them the game, I was not expecting little Chip to follow the game rules. It was really more for M to learn to strategize and have fun at the same time. I figured I could let Chip join in without following the rules anyway. 

Needless to say, it came as a pleasant surprise when little Chip could actually understand and follow the rules really well! I mean, REALLY well. 

He could even formulate a simple strategy to block me and M by the time we were done with Round 3. 

Perhaps because Little Chip is really fond of games that produce winner and losers, he is very motivated to play so that he can win. And when he doesn't win, he just cleans up the set very quickly and announces the start of the game again! 

M, on the other hand, is not quite a gallant loser sometimes. I notice that when he realizes he isn't going to win, there are times when he just loses heart and decides he doesn't want to play anymore. 

I am sure most kids (and adults) are like this. Nothing major here - it's just going to take a little more encouragement and nudging on our part to drive home the fact that sometimes enjoying the journey (process) is as important as the reaching the destination (result). 




3 comments:

Alice Law said...

The applause must goes to Little Chip this time, he has shown wonderful sportmanship in such a tender age!

DG said...

Hee hee... he has. Perhaps it is also because being younger, he doesn't take winning as seriously as his older brother.

The Beauties In Our Lives said...

We enjoy Blokus thoroughly as a great family game too! It is amazing that Chip can even win you guys for some rounds! *applause*

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...