Sunday, April 18, 2010

Let's Talk About Plane Crashes!

I was sandwiched between my boys as we watched a programme on the Discovery Channel about plane crashes one night. It was pretty intense with all the scenes of explosions and wreckage. 

They wanted to know why the plane exploded. What made the plane split up and why did the investigators want to retrieve the wreckage? etc etc.. There were lots of questions. 

Then came the unexpected.... 

My 3.5 y.o. said 'Imagine if my daddy was on the plane and the plane exploded and crashed into the ocean, my daddy will die. Like all these people. And that will make me very sad'. 

I am sure he understands what death is all about, as we talked about it before. What was unexpected was the sudden mention of daddy in the scenario which he has imagined. 

He wasn't traumatized in any way but the comment came out more like a reflection of thoughts. I gave him a big cuddle anyway. Perhaps he thought of daddy on the plane because he knows that E travels overseas a lot for work and he had been away in Vietnam at that time.

In a way, I am pleased that he was thinking about what he was watching, instead of just watching it for entertainment value. 

So while I did not set out to introduce this programme to them (we actually chanced upon it while switching channels), it was nonetheless a great learning experience to sparkle their imagination and provide yet another topic for discussion. 

2 comments:

Alice Law said...

Ohh~! You must be watching Air Crash Investigation, that's me and my hubby favourite programme! Glad that your boys enjoyed it, nevertheless it's a very good documentary!

My girl is very sensitive to the words "die" and "death" too, she hates it when we utter these words!
Have a nice day!

DG said...

Hi Alice, I think the programme we watched was Seconds From Disasters which covers more than just planes crashes. We are lovers of documentaries too!

Most young kids are sensitive and I can understand why.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...