Wednesday, April 14, 2010

3 o'clock Menu

Despite a hearty breakfast every morning before heading to school at which they are fed lunch, my boys always return home ravenous for midday snacks. 

A typical day of meals for my 5.5 y.o in the last 6 months:

Breakfast - a big sandwich consisting of 2 to 3 slices of toasts and a 150 ml cup of milk
Lunch (at school) - a homemade bento or  2-3 mini bowls of rice/porridge 
3pm snack - whatever I offer, usually served with another cup of milk
Dinner - a serving almost as large as mine (and I am NOT a small eater!)

My 3.5 y.o. usually eats similar stuff with slightly smaller servings. 

Here is a sample of what I serve as their mid-afternoon snacks. 

Homemade pancakes with yogurt. 

Spinach omelette with toasts and smoked salmon

Steamed sweetcorn with cheese and a little marshmallow treat (for those special days)
  

Big bowl of fruits (grapes, apple and avocado)

They also get lighter meals like big cup of yogurt with fruits and crackers with cheese or heavier fare such as pizza, sandwiches, noodles and jacket potatoes on some days. 

I suppose I am relieved and happy that they have a healthy appetite, for now at least. I just wish that the school lunch menu serves better fare. 

I am hoping that I will be able to prepare each boy a bento lunch at least twice a week instead of the current random surprises! Boys love the bentos though and have been asking for it frequently. Well, I need to find ways to juggle my current daily tasks to squeeze in time/energy to prepare them. Until then, I just have to compensate at their other meals. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow....i love their food. they are indeed very lucky boys, with so many good and nutrition food to eat. one more thing, i used to find the yoghurt in the supermarkets are full of sugar. just curious, which yoghurt brand did you buy for your kids? i can't seem to find a good one. thanks advance for your kind advice. and i love your blog with full of good quality stuff to read.

DG said...

Anonymous, I'm glad you enjoy the blog.

I buy the brands Pauls (or could be Les Pauls) and Farmers Union set yogurt which is plain. If a child is used to sugary stuff, he may find this hard to eat though as it is sugar-free. My trick was to mix in some fruity yogurt and slowly increase the quantity of plain vs fruity yogurt.

Anonymous said...

Great advice Domesticgoddess. I will try to find the Les Pauls or farmers union brands. Thanks for the good tip, very helpful indeed.

lovely.

Alice Law said...

Ohh~!! Lovely and wholesome meals for your boys, you are such a passionate mom!

Anonymous said...

Hi

am glad I chanced upon your blog. I feel that using lapbooking for teaching early education is just a great idea. Pls keep it up.

Lapbooking is not common in Singapore thus can you share how u get to know lapbooking and use it for your homeschooling?

DG said...

Alice, I have my lazy and non-passionate days too, like everyone else, especially when I am tired and the going gets tough. But generally, I feel so much better when I know that I try hard for my boys. I can tell you are one dedicated mum too. :)

DG said...

Anonymous, I first came across lapbooking about 8 years ago. That was before my kids came along. I love the idea so when my kids were old enough, I tried out the method with them. But to make it more effective than just making a book, I introduced lapbooking with the transdisciplinary thematic teaching method, which is what I think, is the key to effective learning.

I started a programme called the Bright Minds Lapbookers for age 22 months to 7 years, precisely to share the methodology with parents and their kids.

To find out more, do hop over to my other website From Tiny Acorns (www.from-tiny-acorns.com).

Anonymous said...

Hi Domesticgoddess,

Probably need your recommendation on this. Thank you. Do you know any good children dentist that you could recommend to us? what do think is a good age for children to visit dentist? 3 or 4 years? With all the food the kids are eating now, am sure is good for them to see dentist soon.

DG said...

Anonymous, actually I have no comparison as my hb just took my older to the first one that he found. I think it is one at Paragon. I think most child-friendly dentists are about the same. Sorry can't be more specific. As long as there are no dental issues, I think a quick introduction at age 3 or 4 is fine, but there is really no need to go more frequent than that. I am not in any hurry to take my 3.5 yr old yet. Daily dental hygiene and good habits are more important.

Anonymous said...

thank you for your kind advice. now i will have an idea when to send my kids to visit the dentist. it is so stressful to be parents these days with so many things we have to handle for our kids ---but is still worth it. you are my inspiration and i always feel recharged whenever i read your blog. thank you again.

DG said...

anonymous, thanks for your encouraging words. I am glad you like my blog.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...