Monday, December 14, 2009

Chinese Should Learn Chinese

I have been following the recent articles online since MM Lee's comments on the way Chinese was taught in the past decades. 

While it is likely that my own children may be stronger in English than Chinese, not once did I wish that the Chinese standards be set lower or that the weightage for the Chinese subject be adjusted lower in the PSLE exams when my sons sit for their exams. 

Of course, time is on our side. My kids are only 3 and 5 now, so I am hoping that if we get their language foundation right, they will be effectively bilingual in time for Primary school. We have done it for their English and I just don't see why we can't repeat with Chinese. It is always a matter of having the right attitude and willingness to put in the effort. 

Even if they do struggle in Chinese in future, I will insist that we (read: mummy and kids) work harder on this language (and subject) and never give up on it. 

Learning the Chinese language is paramount, not just for the economic value of it all. But hey, we are Chinese. We must know our language, which is really the key to understanding and appreciating our culture. 

It would be such a shame to grow up not knowing our roots and to view speaking Mandarin as a chore instead of a source of pride.

I am optimistic that with some determination and perspiration, my boys will love learning and speaking this language as much as they love English. 

Already, my 5 y.o. is enjoying making his little conquests in Mandarin with me - our baby steps to fluency. He may not be fluent enough just yet, but probably already on par with many of his peers. And this is good enough. For now at least. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...