Thursday, October 8, 2009

Craft: Making Paper Plate Monster

Usually when my boys start bugging me to let them watch TV in the afternoon, I will suggest many alternatives which I deem more constructive and educational. 

Sometimes, we will play games and puzzles. Other times, we go through the forgotten books on our book shelves. And one afternoon recently, we made paper plate monsters! 

The kids are so proud of their monsters and they should! All I did was bring out my entire stash of craft materials and psyched them up to make their very own monster. Ideally, as scary as possible to impress daddy. 

They happily went to work after rummaging through my stash of 'everything under the sun'.



Above: Chipsy made this intending it to be the monster's eye and then decided it looked too much like ice-cream sundae. So it can't be scary.


Cutting up foil, his chosen 'shiny hair' material.

Chipsy posing with his monster. 

Working hard to assemble a special claw. 

He insisted his monster must have claws. After examining many materials, he settled on the idea of bending the pipe-cleaners. Hmm... I thought it was clever! 


After assembling the parts and drawing in more details, he was finally satisfied enough to have it displayed for daddy to see. This sea monster has two rows of eyes and 4 red tongues! 

Result: two time-consuming crafts that taught the kids plenty as they went about it on their own independently. And better still, no TV at all!  A very proud mummy and 2 even prouder boys who showed off their monsters to everyone. 

2 comments:

vcncvbn said...

Wow, I'm impressed by Chipsy's creativity and even scared by the monster done by M!

I was wondering how do you able to offer so many things "under the sun" for their craft?

DG said...

Hi Jasda, I have a craft bag where I keep all sorts of materials that I have collected over time. Very often, I would just offer my boys a wide selection for them to choose when they are creating something. I think it helps to encourage creativity and resourcefulness.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...