Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Two Plays

A few weekends ago, we watched The Gingerbread Man as a family of 4. 

By I Theatre

Little Chip was rather good throughout, considering that the play started 20 minutes late. Though the boys laughed a lot at parts of the performance, little Chip did announce rather loudly at one point 'ok, let's go now. I want to go out now' and M decided he didn't like it after the play ended. 

Actually I didn't like it either. I definitely prefer 'The Hungry Caterpillar' by Nova Scotia that I watched with Chipsy.

The following weekend, I took M to watch 'How The Giraffe Got Its Neck' by Tall Stories. Now, this is a different story. 



An evolutionary entertainment by Tall Stories
Have you ever wondered how the giraffe got its long neck, how the leopard got its spots or how the elephant got its trunk? Join two intrepid explorers on a fantastic adventure across the open seas as they discover elephants, leopards and other animals – and finally, find out the secret behind the giraffe’s neck…  Stories, science and a splash of silliness combine in this exciting new show for everyone aged 4 and up…


I enjoyed every moment of the hour. The set was really simple, but very clever. At the start of the play, the 'explorers' announced that they were collecting questions, so encouraging kids to ask as many questions as they have. 

M didn't take long to warm up either and raised his hand to ask 'why did Gunsaurus have guns?' with the accompanying 'thumbs-up, index finger-pointing' hand gesture. Now, that stumped the pretty cool explorer! Hahaha! (Gunsaurus is one of his two current pet topics, the other being the planets and the Universe.)

When the play started, it truly exceeded my expectations. I love the fascinating story and witty dialogue and utterly enjoyed their sense of humour. Even my 4.5 yo boy laughed and laughed throughout the play. 

Ok, I mustn't forget that at one point, he did comment 'where is the show? I want to see the show!'. Despite my explanation that we were there to watch a play and not a movie, he stubbornly insisted that he was there to watch the movie and it had to be a movie! Huh? 

Well, when it ended, M said 'I don't like it. I don't like this kind of plays, even though I laughed earlier. I only want to watch movies in the cinema where there is popcorn.'

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...