Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Black Box Selections

When my boys' eyes are glued to the black box at home, I almost always feel guilty instantly. 

You would think that after being a stay-home mum for almost 5 years, I should get used to the idea that it is alright for kids to watch some TV. But I still don't.

We do not subscribe to Cartoon Networks or any of the usual kids channels, so my boys don't watch them at all. They do catch glimpses of certain programmes on Okto when we permit them to turn on the TV. But that is not routine either. 
 
A few months ago, E decided that it is time for our boys to enjoy what he used to love as a child. So he bought the Thunderbirds and Star Wars collections. 

Frankly, I was very resistant to the idea of the little boys watching such content, but the daddy insists on the educational value and how they spark imagination and creativity. So I relent. 

After watching just two hours (not at one go!) of Star Wars, my 2.5yo can be heard saying 'Where's the plans? The plans? Gimme the plans!'  I don't watch it with them, so I am clueless why that would be so funny. But E thinks so.

The boys were so glued to Thunderbirds. More so than Star Wars. So it is to be expected that their interpretations of all the cool gadgets, vehicles, rockets and airplanes started to appear in their daily playing and conversations.

M filled the house with truckloads of his drawings of the Thunderbird 1, 2 and 3... and he even made up Thunderbird 11 and 14 and had lots of stories to accompany his inventions. He also created the different Thunderbird vehicles, rockets and planes with his intricate Lego pieces. 


Thunderbird 2 



My 2.5yo refused to be outshone. But he doesn't express through drawing. He makes simple Lego pieces and tells me that it is a Thunderbird 2 and how it can do this and that. 

Ahh.. I do adore all their little creations and how they draw inspirations from TV programmes. And I am happy that my sons have a daddy who has interests so different from mine. 


1 comment:

SGPmum said...

DG,
I finally found some time to update my blog. Go take a look when you have time.
Love the matching pyjamas, ultra cute!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...