Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Parenting Thoughts: Giftedness and Underachievement

I have been reading about Giftedness and the Myths of Underachievement. 

There has been so much misunderstanding about giftedness - what it really is, how to recognise it and address the related issues. 

The term 'underachievement' referred to here, is about not achieving one's potential. It isn't about setting goals like the number of As to achieve in exams or passing a Grade x piano exam at age 5 for instance. 

One issue that I have particular interest in is about taking charge of my children's education. 

To me, it isn't about selecting a branded school, or what others deem to be the most expensive or best in the market. As advocated by experts and confirmed by so many books that I have read, we simply can't assume that the educators know best about helping our child reach his potential. It takes a rare educator to recognise giftedness and is trained enough to handle the related challenges.

By taking charge, it is about selecting an education option that best suits the child's learning abilities. As a parent, we should know our child's strengths and weaknesses better than the teachers. 

If schools aren't meeting the child's needs and when our child slides through school with easily obtained As from teachers who don't know the extent of our child's abilities, we also need to ask ourselves 'Is this good enough?'. Each child gets only one childhood. There are no 'do-overs' and no second chance to be a 5yo again.

The reason underachievement exists in some gifted children is because we teach them to underachieve by asking for little more than blind devotion to a curriculum that is either too easy, or too irrelevant.

Addressing understimulation and underachievement:

- eliminate or reduce significantly any work already mastered;
- allow independent projects on topics of personal choice;
- place your child with teachers who understand and appreciate gifted kids' intelligence, humour, and sarcasm;
- incorporate problem-solving techniques instead of rote learning to learn or practice needed skills; and 
- whenever possible, combine typical school subjects of math, science, language arts etc so that students see the 'the big picture' of how these areas overlap in real-life situations.

Learning should be fun, interesting and meaningful, with a bigger purpose than just obtaining good grades in school. 

My ultimate goal is to inculcate in my kids the desire to learn that is accompanied by a hunger for knowledge. I see my role as one to inspire my boys to have a natural and undying curiosity and interest about the world around them.

I've learnt so much more from reading and discussing with people in similar situations or those with relevant experience. However, this post is not meant to go into details but to highlight a few points for my own reminder.

9 comments:

Administrator said...

I agree wholeheartedly. at times, I feel lost too. I dont know if I am doing the best I can to maximise Nicole's potential. I want her to have a memorable childhood not just one filled with worksheets and nothing else. It takes much effort to "blend in" the relevant subjects for the benefits of young kids such that they are able to appreciate the "big picture".

DG said...

Hi contentedmom, I feel there is no way to know if we, as parents are doing enough. We just have to do our best and accept our best efforts as good enough.

I strongly feel childhood shouldn't be filled with worksheets and tuition classes just to get the grades in school. Learning is for a bigger purpose, hence I always believe in a transdisciplinary approach to learning.

3lilangels said...

I find your blog very thoughtful and full of inspiration. You've put together my random thoughts so eloquently. This was what I wanted to do without knowing how to express it. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this post. I have been reading your blog for months now and I must say that of the hundreds of blogs that I have read so far, yours is one of the most inspiring and interesting blogs that I have come across. I love your varied topics and how you share your thoughts and experiences as a parent and just living your life. Your kids are so fortunate to have an amazing mum like you.

DG said...

Hi 3lilangels and Aileen, thanks and you are most welcome! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Domesticgoddess,
You have written an excellent post on giftedness. I think every mommy who has exceptionally bright or gifted kids should read your blog.

I totally agree with you that learning is for a bigger purpose, and that childhood should not be filled with worksheets or assessment books.

Instead, I let my kids read the unabridged versions of all the wonderful children's classics written by great authors like E.B.White, Oscar Wilde, Roald Dahl, Laura Ingalls Wilder, etc. My kids enjoy the books very much, and at the same time, they learn grammar, build up their vocabulary, and expand their knowledge. This is so much more effective, meaningful and fun for my kids.

As for maths, what is the use of making a gifted child do addition, subtraction, multiplication and division over and over again ? I know kids who attended Kumon class are able to do P3 worksheets at 4 years old. But I believe that truly gifted kids are able to understand mathematical concepts like algebra, equations, geometry, etc, even before they enter primary school. These kids only need to be taught the concept and should not be drilled.

I believe that being gifted, means that the child only has to spend very little time studying, and she can still be far more advanced than other kids the same age. She should be allowed to spend most of her time doing what she likes to do.

DG said...

Hi Tamarind, thanks for your kind comments.

I agree with you about exposing children to good literature once they can read independently and are able to comprehend the literary works.

I feel the same as you about Maths too, so my kids aren't going near Kumon and the likes. :)

But if a child is highly gifted in Maths and loves the challenges of P3 Maths at age 4, perhaps the parents are doing the right thing to allow the child to spend more time on the subject, rather than forcing the child to do other things.

I actually know a child who at age 6 could do Primary 6 Maths and enjoys the challenges tremendously. It gives her immense satisfaction and confidence.

My sentiments exactly about gifted kids requiring less time to study, leaving more time to purse their interests. It is always lovely to read comments from other like-minded parents. Thanks for dropping by. :)

Eileen W said...

Hi,

This is my first visit to your blog and I happy to know there are so many dedicated mothers out there. Cheers!

DG said...

Hi Eileen, welcome to my blog. There are indeed many like-minded parents out there who are doing their best every day for their children. :>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...