Saturday, March 14, 2009

Learning Chinese


His enthusiasm to work on our Chinese homeschooling activities really pleases me a lot. 

Compared to a few months ago, his oral and listening skills in Mandarin has improved significantly. 

I am slowly increasing our daily time spent on all areas - word recognition, oral, listening, reading and writing. Very little focus on writing though as I firmly believe it is not an important aspect just yet.


Now he can understand a lot of instructions in Mandarin and is confident enough to converse with me in full sentences on everyday topics. He is also beginning to read simple Chinese books on his own, without the help of pinyin.

In fact, he has been asking me to stop sending him to his once-a-week Chinese class conducted by his school. Instead, he wants to learn Chinese with me at home.

He has been attending the additional class conducted by his school for 1.5 term now. He tells me every week to just send him the bento and pick him up before lesson begins. He likes the lunchbox I prepared and enjoys eating with friends, but just hates the lesson. I am really not too sure why he dislikes it so much. Perhaps he finds the format of teaching boring. 

After much deliberation, we decided to withdraw him from that class when he finishes this term. After all, I think his recent progress has a lot to do with the work we did at home. Not so much from the little time spent in that Chinese class.

I am so looking forward to seeing him improve by leaps and bounds this year. 

Even little Chip is now picking up little bits and pieces and some days, the 2yo runs to me excitedly 'Mama, I want to do Chinese!!'.  Heehee...

4 comments:

Ivana said...

How lovely! I'm getting nervous about this as the days to returning to Singapore decreases...

DG said...

I presume you are nervous for B. But really, there is no need to be concerned since B is so young. Plenty of time to catch up. Do you have a firm date yet?

Ivana said...

We'll be back by January. Problem is neither of us can even read Mandarin. Ah well, we'll cross that hurdle when we get there... but those Popular books I saw were really scary!

DG said...

Err.. actually I have always assumed that you are Singaporean Chinese. Are you?

Hmm.. those books at Popular are quite scary, but I really think kids can really pick up a language fast if we introduce it to them systematically and with immersion, it will be even more effective. Just a few months ago, my 4yo hardly speak any Mandarin. Now I can say I am quite proud of him. Hee hee.. but I am the mum so I know I can be shamelessly biased. :P So I am sure it will be the same with my Nicholas and your B.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...