Saturday, December 13, 2008

One thing I hate about parenting

When Marcus was just a few weeks old, I remember my ex-colleagues laughed so hard when I said I rather enjoyed cleaning Marcus' filthy butt whenever he pooed.

There is something lovingly motherly I feel, in cleaning my baby's dirty bottom. I see that as a loving gesture which mothers do unconditionally, 8 to 12 times a day, to ensure our precious little ones have a clean 'backside'. So despite how disgusting the task can be at times, I never flinch or delegate it to the papa. I still didn't mind it when my #2 came even though I had a maid by then.

But one thing I hate about parenting is Toilet Training.

I procrastinated with Marcus and was happy to learn after reading many articles and research that the average age of successful potty training for boys is 27 months old. I convinced myself there is no rush then, and put it off till I had to. So two months before he started school, I got out the underwears and potty reluctantly. I had a maid then to clean up the puddles and handwash all soiled clothes. It was a breeze with Marcus. We bought a kiddy toilet seat soon after and it wasn't tough to progress him to the toilet. By the time he went to school at 32 months old, he didn't need nappy except at naps and bedtime. He went nappyless at naps when he was 45 mths old but we are still lazy to train him for the bedtime.

Now it is time to potty train Nicholas. Urgghh! I am dreading it since I will have to be the one cleaning the puddles and dashing for the potty. Not to mention the heap of soiled clothes to look forward to. Yikes!

The plan is to wait till E takes his long leave next week. Hopefully by early January, Nicholas can be off his nappy in daytime and Marcus can go nappyless even at bedtime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DG,
I personally feel that no parent looks forward to toilet training. It is just something that we need to grit our teeth and do it. Will be starting Roy on toilet training too as he has started to show interest in wearing underwear, hates wearing diaper and will constantly remove it but is still not able to tell when he wants to go potty. I give myself 1 year to train him for day and night as what we did with Ryan when he was 2 last time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...