Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Day to Reflect and Look Forward

I always get very emotional on the last day of the year. During my younger days, I often ended up in tears, either a quiet sobbing next to my pillow or just watching the countdown on TV with streams of tears down my face. 

I mostly cried for the disappointments, pain and regrets I suffered that year. It was like a ritual that I had unknowingly started for myself. The tears sort of wash away the negative experiences and help me 'bury' them, so I could look forward to the new year with hope and positive energy.

As I mature, I don't remember crying on New Year's Eve anymore but it becomes a day of serious reflection. I simply look back on the year and relive the good and bad memories. It is a like a day of self-assessment - of how well I had performed my roles as a person, a daughter, a wife, and a mother. And as I take stock of my achievements and failures in each role, I plan my personal goals for the following 12 months.

Over the years, I learn to let go of unhappiness and look forward to opportunities to lead a more fulfilling and happier life in the new year. 

On this last day of 2008, I feel an amazing aura of peace and contentment. Perhaps it comes from the conviction, more than ever, that my life will be as good as I make it to be. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said, my dear friend. You are an amazing woman with such a big heart and you deserve only the best. :)

D from Boston x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...