Sunday, November 16, 2008

Garlic Prawn Pasta



I love this oil-based pasta recipe in which I use plenty of olive oil. Easy to make, incredibly delicious and so healthy. With all the Omega 3 and good protein, I just can't resist making it more often. Especially when my boys can't stop eating it! 

This is my own recipe which I improvise based on experience and I rarely measure my ingredients except when baking, so I won't be including details like exact quantities of each ingredient I use, though one should be able to easily gauge for your own preparation.

Ingredients (enough for 2 adults and 2 kids):
olive oil and unsalted butter
good quality large prawns (I use tiger or large grey prawns)
100g pasta per adult portion (of course adjust quantity according to appetite; I used angel hair for adults and wheel pasta for kids here but recipe works with any pasta)
broccoli
1-2 fresh red chili, finely sliced
4-6 cloves garlic, finely chopped (depending on how garlicky you like)
half large onion, finely chopped
handful of rocket leaves for garnish (optional)

Preparation:
1. Add olive oil and butter to frying pan and when pan is hot, fry onions till soft, then add in the garlic, followed by broccoli. 

2. A min later, throw in the prawns. Stir-fry for a few min till prawns and broccoli are cooked. If only cooking for adults, then I will add the red chili at this step and stir through for another minute. 

3. Set aside together with all the remaining "liquid" in the pan if any, but be sure to take off heat so the prawns don't overcook. 

4. Cook pasta according to packet instructions, adding a little olive oil and sea salt to water. Drain when cooked.

5. Throw in the drained pasta and prawns/broccoli/onion/garlic mixture back onto the heated pan, add more olive oil and salt (to taste) and stir through. 

You can also drizzle with extra virgin olive oil at Step 5 instead of olive oil and garnish with rocket leaves. 

Note:
- I cook the prawns/broccoli while I boil water for the pasta. And at Step 2, I set aside the kids' portion before adding chili for adults' portions. 
- As I use 2 types of pasta here, I have to cook them separately. Angel hair cooks in 2 min or so whereas wheel pasta takes between 8-10min. So I cooked the latter first and when done, I drained and use the same water for the angel hair to minimise waiting and washing up! 


Left: For the 4yo
Right: For my 2yo


I always add fresh red chili to the adults' servings of garlic prawn pasta and this time, I used angel hair instead of the kids' wheel pasta. I am not fond of kids' pasta shapes. A handful of rocket salad for garnish.


Hmm.... need I say more? :) 


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hallo DG,

Will you please post recipe for this one? It looks really yummy! :)

KC :)

DG said...

Hi KC, sure will post the recipe tomorrow when I can find some time to write. But I'm curious, are you someone I know personally? The name KC doesn't seem familiar.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Was also abt to ask you to share the recipe. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...