Thursday, October 30, 2008

Bedtime Reading

A typical night of bedtime reading can take well over an hour and half if I were to read to both boys. They are not fond of me reading to both at the same time, since they prefer very different books. So they take turns. Usually Chipsy goes first while M stays in his room and read on his own while waiting for me to finish with the little one.

But I must admit that after many tiring days, I do dread it a lot at times when it comes to bedtime routine, especially after I have to do this for 9 consecutive nights when E is away.

Despite my strong belief in the benefits of reading to my kids and my passion in reading and books generally, I have to struggle through it sometimes as this has become a really mundane activity that I must check off my daily to-do list (and I am not counting the time I spent reading in the daytime). Well, I have been doing this for 4 years and yes, I am aware that there will be many more to come. 

I do it solely out of motherly love and I try to sustain their interest (which luckily is not difficult to do at all, but on the contrary, my boys are very enthusiastic about their books) and passion by reading with passion. With each sentence that I read, I get questions and remarks and stories that they spin (yes, even from little Chip), which adds to the fun and benefits them tremendously, but it can also be tiresome and makes the whole activity very lengthy.

Like tonight, a typical night of bedtime reading, Chipsy requested for "Goodnight Moon", "Chocolate Moose for Greedy Goose" and "Train". 

I read 'Goose' first for 3 times as he would ask for "one more time" everytime I reached the last page. Next he wanted "Train". So I read that another 4 times and that simple book alone took almost 30 min as he kept wanting to examine the details on each page and repeat every word that I read. Last, we looked at 'Moon' and he made me read it 5 times!! 

By the 3rd time, I was so thirsty and brain-dead, but I pressed on and told him that it would be just 'one last time'. But I gave in later and read for the 5th time. Just as I put the books away and kissed him goodnight, he sweetly asked 'Mama, read My World. Last time.' which made me laugh. I didn't but promised to read tomorrow morning.

I know, I am weak and should be the one in control here. But I do love the fact that he enjoys his books so much. I am aware of the possibility that he may be using this 'one more time' and 'again' tactics to delay bedtime. But then again, my instincts tell me it isn't the case. I know my baby so well; he just loves his books, so I usually oblige. 

Next was M's turn and he was reading a Richard Scarry's book while patiently waiting for me. When I showed up in his room, he promptly selected 3 big books and instructed that I get started immediately so that I can finish reading all the pages in these 3 books before he gets into bed. Of course, I didn't. 

In the end, I read part of the Richard Scarry's Busy Busy Town and a few pages of "Young Learner's Encyclopedia of Science" and got him to read the whole 28 pages of "Click Clack Moo, Cows That Type" to me. I had to promise him that I will continue tomorrow and we shall start earlier so that we can read more. 

Now I can't wait for E to be back so we can split this duty. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, check with you when u read bedtime stories with ur boys in their rooms, are the lights bright and white or yellowish bedside lamp kind?

im in a dilema, i know we shld be reading under bright white light (fluorescent) but since it's bedtime, isnt it supposed to be bedtime mood light?

DG said...

I always read with bright lights if they are to look at the books too. I want to instill the good habit of reading in good light and always sit up to read. Sometimes I will read a few books with them on my lap so we look at the books together, then put them in bed, dim the lights and they just lie down and listen to me reading, without looking at the books.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...