Tuesday, September 16, 2008

When only the greens will do

There are days when I just crave a good healthy serving of fruits and vegetables. I don't follow any diet plan, nor am I on a diet. No way! I love food too much to be on any diet, except possibly a 'See-food' Diet! 

But I do try to eat healthily whenever I can so that I will feel better. By having healthy meals on most days, I can indulge from time to time without feeling guilty. That is full pleasure to me. People close to me will know the amount of sinful food I eat on a weekly basis and the quantity I can eat at one sitting. And I am not embarrassed to admit that I can probably eat more than my hubby if I really want to. 

However after some big caloric meals, I always listen to my body. I never skip meals, in fact, I eat between 3 and 5 meals a day. I am not a calorie watcher, nor do I worry about fat content. But I do try to include natural food that are high in anti-oxidants and packed with nutrients. I am very nutrition conscious, so much so that when I look at food, I immediately gauge its nutrition value in terms of the amount of Omega 3, anti-oxidants, vitamins and minerals and good vs bad fats it contains. 

I have a very healthy appetite and need to eat a fairly generous portion on usual days. Especially when I am eating out with friends, I almost always have second helpings. I love social eating and all the wine and dine affairs are my kind of thing. I just haven't been doing those much these days. I do thank my genes and also credit the more active lifestyle in my younger days for my healthy metabolism. 



This was what I made for dinner 2 nights ago after I listened to my body. I baked a generous portion of goat cheese in the oven with 4 cloves of garlic, cherry tomatoes and a whole yellow pepper that was cut into strips and plenty of olive oil drizzled all over as the salad dressing. Once fresh out of oven, these gems were placed on a bed of baby spinach leaves which I just washed and tossed straight from the pack. I love the splash of colours and even before I tucked into my dinner, I already 'felt' healthier! Hah! 

I made this only for myself since E didn't fancy similar fare that night and my boys went 'Yikes! Mummy why are you eating leaves? You are not a giraffe!' Haha! 

Like I said, after a good salad, I don't feel bad indulging in a huge portion of home made lasagne and a large slice of tiramisu the following night, which E bought as a surprise dessert for me. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...