Thursday, August 30, 2007

A day at Bishan Park

Whenever the sun shines, I can't wait to get the boys out of the house and head down to the parks. Before Nicholas came, it was much easier to get Marcus and myself ready and be at the Botanic Gardens in under half hour. But these days, the process of getting everyone ready is as tiring as a long walk around Hyde Park, one of my favourites in London.

Nevertheless, E and I finally took the boys to Bishan Park for a full 2 hour stroll on a weekday morning. It was a simple outing, but highly enjoyable for the boys and me. We stood and shouted "yikes!" a lot at a half baked eel that looked dehydrated and dead, when it was actually sunbathing out of water on a dry, hot rocky surface and when it suddenly moved, it shocked E enough that he jumped and took a few steps back. Marcus kept asking papa "what happened to the eel?" Then I squatted with Marcus to examine a dead fish, or rather half of a dead fish on a bicycle track and I had to explain to him what could have happened to the fish that it had only half a body left. We chased squirrels and followed the ant trails and he laughed at me while I jumped up and down in fright after almost stepping on a dead rat that has started to decompose.

We passed by half naked joggers and Marcus observed how skinny or flabby some of them are. And E and I took turns to carry Nicholas so we could whisper into his ears the same commentary we have been feeding his older brother, while kissing and sniffing his wet neck and chubby cheeks. All these experiences in under 2 hours.



Marcus enjoying a swing with papa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The park is one of my favourite activities with L! So much to see and do through a child's eyes. We spent a long time over a slug once, long enough to see it get rolled over by a truck and for L to mourn its loss. There's a nice cafe at Bishan Park, don't know if you've tried...I didn't try the food but the menu featured pretty healthy food, some organic I think. 

DG said...

Hi Val,

I haven't tried the cafe, but I've seen it the last time we were there. We shall go again soon and try it out. Thanks for the tip! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...